Monday 4 September 2017

How Green Was My Valley








Quick, give me the names of two of the actors in this movie (male & female). Were you able to? They are - Maureen O' Hara, Roddy McDowell, and Walter Pigeon (bonus points for Walter, I didn't remember him either). If you are a contemporary of mine, you may have spent your Sunday afternoons parked in front of the TV watching classic movies on CKND. If you did, I'm pretty sure you watched this movie which depicted Wales within the dismal parameters of the 19 century with coal mining at its core. I know I did and it shaped my perception of what I thought Wales was going to look like.
Fast forward to 2017 and you can imagine my surprise when we left the lush green of Ireland and went to Wales to visit Rhys (see Bernie and Matthew's blogs for that story). I saw the most beautiful coastline and seaside resorts and many, many people on holiday. While some of the beaches are rocky and not sandy, they are great for sitting and relaxing and looking for interesting stones and shells. Not much coal mining can be seen anymore but there is plenty of green countryside.
Now if any of you watch the Netflix series Hinterland, we visited the seaside city of Aberystwyth. I realize now that all the filming must take place in the winter (that female officer almost never takes her jacket off) and again, the perception is of a lonely, isolated small town. Seasons make a huge difference but we saw a quaint seaside city ...





 

No comments: